Thursday, October 9, 2008

MUST Cobbler

If you like cobbler, you MUST make this!

And if you think you don't like cobbler, you MUST make this, because you will!


Please forgive the picture. I remembered to take it only after it was almost entirely eaten. Then I zoomed way in with my little camera so it wouldn't be so obvious we almost inhaled it. But now I'm telling you so that defeats the purpose.

Anyway, we pass by this fruit stand (outdoor store, really) on our way to Dallas. I have always wanted to stop and last month we finally did. I bought some beautiful blackberries. And we enjoyed this recipe.

And now I pay my parents to stop when they come down, or I stop myself if I'm the one traveling, for those blackberries. So, so yummy! And I imagine that this would taste great with most stone fruits.

Ingredients:
1 cup flour
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
6 Tbs. cold butter
1/4 cup boiling water
2 Tbs. cornstarch
1/4 cup cold water
1 Tbs. lemon juice
4 cups fresh blackberries (frozen would probably work too, just thaw and get rid of the extra liquid)

1. Preheat oven to 400. Line sheet pan with foil.
2. Mix flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in butter until resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in 1/4 boiling water just until mixture is evenly moist.
3. Dissolve cornstarch in cold water. Mix in remaining 1 cup sugar, lemon juice, and blackberries. Transfer to a cast iron skillet (a saucepan works if you don't have one), and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. (If you used a saucepan, now's the time to transfer to a baking dish). Drop the dough onto the berries by spoonfuls. Place skillet on foil lined sheet.
4. Bake 25 minutes in oven until dough is golden brown.

And finally, you MUST serve this warm (hot, even) with vanilla ice cream!

No comments: