Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Review (Rachel)

I decided to write a quick post about the recipes I've tried from this blog:

Oreo Cake Balls

These were tasty, but I don't recommend making them unless you have a party or something. We had leftovers for a few weeks (had to toss the last of them). But if you have a large group, it's an impressive and easy treat.

Oh Mommy! Pork Tenderloin

This was delicious. But again, not for two people, unless you're okay with eating leftover tenderloin at lunch for about a week. I never cooked pork before, ever. At all. So this was new for me, and I made some big mistakes in the process, but I was able to save it in the end.

I had fresh ginger on hand, so I minced up some ginger--which I think made it a tad too gingery. So if I make it again, I'll add less ginger (if using fresh ginger). But this wasn't really a mistake, but more of taste preference.

Here are my rookie mistakes:

  1. I forgot to spray the pan.
  2. I was really dumb, and I dumped the marinade into the pan with the pork. The marinade burned, leaving a lovely black mess on my Pyrex.
  3. After it had cooked for 25 minutes, a wide crevice straight down the middle showed that the insides were far from being cooked. Then I was like, oh, it's two pieces! Dur. I had taken the two tenderloins out of the plastic thinking it was just one big hunk of meat. So since I had to separate the pieces, I removed them from the burnt pan as well, and placed them in another (sprayed) pan to cook some more. It took about 20-25 more minutes to finish cooking. But! The end result was perfectly fine. Although the kitchen smelled like burnt marinade all night.

Lulu's Oven Stew

Since I've grown up eating this stew, I already knew it was delicious before I made it. Easy to make, and the leftovers are great.

Next up, I hope to make Ashley's Zucchini Fritters and Elise's Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup.

1 comment:

Elise said...

Yay! Thanks for your reviews. I have since heard as well that those oreo balls are kind of pain to make.